Every exam board uses the same specification for all stages of Functional Skills Maths Entry Level, and you will be assessed on:
- Use of number and the number system
- Use of measures, shape and space
- Handling information and data
75% of marks are assigned to problem solving, and the remaining 25% of marks are awarded for demonstrating general underpinning skills, for example, extracting information from statements.
Each exam board has a slight variation, but every exam board is split into two sections:
- Section A, a non-calculator paper;
- Section B, a longer calculator paper.
Typically, these sections span around 25 minutes and 75 minutes respectively, and the proportion of marks is split accordingly, with approximately one quarter from Section A, and the remaining portion from Section B.